Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"I don't like that" tuesday

Well, apparently I have not had much to post in between Tuesdays. I do, however, have a topic that I am very passionate about. I feel that this subject is much like cilantro or avacados, people either LOVE them and can't get enough or HATE them and are reduced to red faced anger monsters whenever confronted with them. I am talking, of course about.....



Magicians.


Many of my good friends know of my disdain for this genre of entertainment. Many of my good friends love magicians. I am sorry, Shauna, I won't clap for them. I am not impressed by "slight of hand".

Top hat? cape? Fine. I can handle that. it's almost classy. Bright colored vest, parachute pants and wild hair? kill me now.

I am having a hard time writing this because I have so much hate in me about it I cannot pinpoint the exact words to describe it best. I am repulsed by the exaggerated finger and leg movements they use to be "showy". I always feel like they are trying to lure their audience into a windowless van so they can show them their "magic rabbit".


"What about street magicians, Marie? They are kinda hip and cool and rock and roll, right?"


No. Even worse. David Blaine can suck it. I don't care how intense your stare is. I hate your profession.






I also lump jugglers and ventriloquists into this disdainful group of people. Really, if you feel you need to wear a vest or wacky tie during your performance I probably hate you.

I am not even going to apologize for offending anyone during this edition of "IDLTT". I am fed up.








P.S. anyone interested in being a guest writer for "IDLTT"? Send me your dislikes (mbarcellos1@gmail.com) and, if I agree with them, your opinion can be part of this ever popular feature. and by popular I mean my mom may read it every once in a while.

3 comments:

Sara said...

great photos! I agree with your stance on this matter...these people need a 12 step program.

Shauna said...

let the world know that the only magician I like is Job from Arrested Development. I'd like that known.

Marie Barcellos said...

shauna,

please refer to your blog post about clapping. was that Job? hmmm? I still love you.